Journal list menu
Bulk Density Determination by Automated Three-Dimensional Laser Scanning
All rights reserved. No part of this periodical may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, or any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher. Permission for printing and for reprinting the material contained herein has been obtained by the publisher.
This study examined the application of a relatively new automated three-dimensional scanning technology to bulk density determination of intact soil clods and rock fragments. The method uses an inexpensive commercially available three-dimensional desktop scanner. Measurements obtained by the scanning method were compared with those of the paraffin-coated clod method determined on the same clods. Results showed excellent agreement between volume and bulk density measurements obtained by the two methods across a wide range of textural classes. Use of the technology has several important advantages over the traditional clod method. The nondestructive nature of the scanning method makes it possible to use the same intact ped or clod for other purposes, such as thin sections for micromorphological analysis. In addition, high-resolution digital imaging opens up possibilities for new physical measurements of soil morphological features.
- 1, and Bulk density. p. 363–375. A. Klute (ed.) Methods of soil analysis. Part 1. 2nd ed. Agron. Monogr. 9. ASA and SSSA, Madison, WI. 1986
- 2, and Bulk density measurements on certain soils high in coarse fragments. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. Proc. 1968 32 109–111 https://doi.org/10.2136/sssaj1968.03615995003200010028x
- 3, and Bulk density and linear extensibility. p. 201–228. J.H. Dane, and G.C. Topp (ed.) Methods of soil analysis. Part 4. SSSA Book Ser. 5. SSSA, Madison, WI. 2002
- 4 Environmental soil physics. Academic Press, San Diego. 1998
- 5, and Simple modification of the clod method for determining bulk density of very gravelly soils. Commun. Soil Sci. Plant Anal. 2006 37 899–906 https://doi.org/10.1080/00103620600588579 http://gateway.isiknowledge.com/gateway/Gateway.cgi?GWVersion=2&SrcApp=PARTNER_APP&SrcAuth=agrocropsoil&KeyUT=000237765400001&DestLinkType=FullRecord&DestApp=WOS_CPL&UsrCustomerID=523bbf5d2a868de7bbaeea0bc70ec0e4
- 6, , and Hydraulic conductivity as related to certain soil properties in a number of great soil groups: Sampling errors involved. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. Proc. 1957 21 554–560 https://doi.org/10.2136/sssaj1957.03615995002100050025x
- 7 R Development Core Team. R: A language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. 2007
- 8, and Noncontact shrinkage curve determination for soil clods and aggregates by three-dimensional optical scanning. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 2007 71 1448–1454 https://doi.org/10.2136/sssaj2006.0372 http://gateway.isiknowledge.com/gateway/Gateway.cgi?GWVersion=2&SrcApp=PARTNER_APP&SrcAuth=agrocropsoil&KeyUT=000249174300003&DestLinkType=FullRecord&DestApp=WOS_CPL&UsrCustomerID=523bbf5d2a868de7bbaeea0bc70ec0e4
- 9, and Bulk-density and coarse-fragment determinations on some Pennsylvania soils. Soil Sci. 1965 99 392–397 https://doi.org/10.1097/00010694-196506000-00007
- 10 Soil Survey Division Staff. Soil survey manual. Agric. Handbk. 18. U.S. Gov. Print. Office, Washington, DC. 1993
- 11 Soil Survey Staff. Soil survey laboratory methods manual. Soil Surv. Invest. Rep. 42. Version 3.0. U.S. Gov. Print. Office, Washington, DC. 1996
- 12, and Comparison of clod and core methods for determination of soil bulk density. Commun. Soil Sci. Plant Anal. 1993 24 2517–2528 https://doi.org/10.1080/00103629309368972 http://gateway.isiknowledge.com/gateway/Gateway.cgi?GWVersion=2&SrcApp=PARTNER_APP&SrcAuth=agrocropsoil&KeyUT=A1993MC14500031&DestLinkType=FullRecord&DestApp=WOS_CPL&UsrCustomerID=523bbf5d2a868de7bbaeea0bc70ec0e4